The student news site of Hebrew Academy of Nassau County

HANC Herald

• October 24Want to contribute to the HANC Herald? Send and email to rcanter@hanc.org or jcorley@hanc.org!

• October 24The HANC Herald has entered the 21st century and is officially online!

Millennial Dialect- Adults Just Don’t Get It

Many users of social media applications, mostly tweens, teens, and young adults, have been doing just that: developing a new dialect based on newly formed words created by Viners, Youtubers, and other social media moguls.

Talia Lifschutz, Contributor

We all have our ways of communicating. Every so often, we  may use a peculiar word that we make up off the top of our heads. Many users of social media applications, mostly tweens, teens, and young adults, have been doing just that: developing a new dialect based on newly formed words created by Viners, Youtubers, and other social media moguls. These new words constantly flow through the conversations of teenagers, while adults just sit there with a confused expression on their face.

When you want to describe something well said or done, you may use the term “on point,” or “perfect.” Recently, a Viner (six second video maker) came up with the term “on fleek” to describe her perfect eyebrows (“eyebrows on fleek”). This vine became an instant trend, and I constantly hear people using the term to describe something that may be “on point.” I recently was explaining this term to my parents and they just seemed so confused and didn’t get it. When they were growing up, social media wasn’t the center of life, and people simply didn’t create new words in the same way they do now.

Another term that sprung up from the photo sharing application, Instagram, was the word “hashtag.” When I sent a photo to my mother from Instagram, she question why there were all these pound symbols before words used to describe the picture. I had to explain to her that a “hashtag” was just a way of putting your photo or status into a certain category. Today, when most young people see this symbol, they immediately think of a “hashtag” rather than a number sign or pound sign. Most people I know who are over the age of 30 still do not understand this concept, but maybe it will catch on.

Even though most adults I know still do not understand this new dialect, I overall find it to be a great and fun way of communicating. I found that using this language brought me closer to my friends. We constantly make jokes about the overuse of hashtags and all that other nonsense, but at the same time, our lives revolve around this new way of speaking. What I took from this dialect was that it really connected the world through social media and even in real life. We may enjoy using fun terms such as “on fleek,” but these expressions help people from all over the world  stay connected to the current news, pop culture, science, and almost anything else they are interested in. The future is on its way!

Which Millennial Phrase is Your Favorite?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

• Millennial Dialect- Adults Just Don’t Get It

Arts

6 Spectacular Purim Illustrations and Masks You Have to See to Believe!

Showcase

Pigboy Comic

Showcase

17 Things You Should Do Before Graduating High School

Showcase

The Story Behind The Science Guy

Showcase

The Styles of Being an Equestrian

Showcase

The New 7 Wonders of the World

Showcase

4 Ways to Show Gratitude This Thanksgiving

Opinion

Are You Missing This Important Character Trait?

Showcase

If Walls Could Talk

Showcase

5 Ways to Increase Your Gratitude