Are You Missing This Important Character Trait?

It’s the humble and unspoken acts preformed that stand out. Anyone can be thankful for receiving a gift or being given money but it shows real character when you can acknowledge the small things done for you and be thankful for them.

“I am grateful for my parents.” This comment is thrown around quite often which unfortunately tarnishes the true beauty of the concept. Having gratitude toward someone is not always easy because it can be hard to see just how much someone is doing for you, especially parents. From washing your plate to taking you to the doctor, parents go above and beyond to please and satisfy their children, even if they are not children anymore.

I am grateful for my parents for more things than stars in the sky. I completely understand and accept that I would be nothing without my parents. I understand that when I say, “please” and “thank you,” for something it is because I was raised to do so. My parents are my leaders and my inspiration for how I should act. They have taken care of me since the day I was born and they will take care of me to their last breath, it’s their job.

I remember all the trips back to school to get forgotten work, or them cheering me on at my games, or the gentle embrace that reassured me that everything was going to be just fine. It’s the humble and unspoken acts preformed that stand out. Anyone can be thankful for receiving a gift or being given money but it shows real character when you can acknowledge the small things done for you and be thankful for them.

So how can I, a mere teenager, give back to this supreme might that I have the privilege to call my own? The answer is simple, gratitude. Although my parents love and adore me it’s not simply because of how generally amazing I am, but it’s because I show gratitude in everything my parents do for me, small or large. Whether it’s changing the sheets on my bed or preparing dinner, I understand that although it may seem insignificant, it was done out of love and that’s what matters to me.

I love my parents and if they can the time out of their busy schedule to do something for me can bet I’m going to give them the time of day and at the very least say “thank you.” A simple two words can brighten up their stressful day and really make a difference. It takes a second to give them the gratitude they deserve, and wouldn’t you want the same thing?

• Are You Missing This Important Character Trait?

Opinion

Coffee vs. Energy Drinks: The Truth Behind the Caffeine

Opinion

Millennial Dialect- Adults Just Don’t Get It

Opinion

Awesome–Is It Really?

Student Life

17 Things You Should Do Before Graduating High School

Sports

The Styles of Being an Equestrian

World

The New 7 Wonders of the World

Student Life

4 Ways to Show Gratitude This Thanksgiving

Student Life

If Walls Could Talk

Student Life

5 Ways to Increase Your Gratitude

News

HANC High School’s “Attitude of Gratitude” Video Compilation