The student news site of Hebrew Academy of Nassau County

HANC Herald

• October 24Want to contribute to the HANC Herald? Send and email to rcanter@hanc.org or jcorley@hanc.org!

• October 24The HANC Herald has entered the 21st century and is officially online!

The LA School Closings: Keeping Students Safe

Los Angeles School Superintendent Ramon Cortines said due to past attacks in the region, he did not want to take a risk with the lives of these children, and he subsequently chose to close the schools in the area.

Yigal Masurov, Contributor

school bus, road, pavement, desert, sand, plants, rural, mountains, cliffs, sunshine, hot

On Tuesday, December 15 2015, Los Angeles closed more than 1,000 public schools due to the threats including bombing and shootings, specifically machine pistols and assault rifles. The threat was an email, believed to be from Germany; however, after some more evidence/work they believe it was from the Los Angeles area. Federal officials believed this threat was probably a joke According to one report, the House Intelligence Committee also said the threat was “believed to be a joke.” Police Commissioner William Bratton of New York City stated “New York received a similar threat and what they did in Los Angeles was an “over reaction.”

Los Angeles School Superintendent Ramon Cortines said due to past attacks in the region, he did not want to take a risk with the lives of these children, and he subsequently chose to close the schools in the area. One of these attacks, which happened a little more than a week ago, was the San Bernardino shooting, which is nearby. Inspired by the Islamic State, a married couple killed14 people and wounded 22 others at a county office building. Mayor Eric Garcetti of Los Angeles said he agreed with Cortines’s decision about cancelling schools. According to Police Chief, Charlie Beck, the threat was very specific to Los Angeles Unified School District campuses, and they can’t take a chance with the lives of the future.  Police Chief Beck said that officers would search all of the district’s campuses, which may take more than one day since there were many schools that the threat impacte–about 900 public school facilities. Most private schools stayed open.

I believe that Cortines’s decision to cancel school was the right decision. Even though many people disagreed with him, saying it was a hoax, the potential of the threat being an act of terrorism cannot be taken lightly, especially if another shooting happened previously. What Bratton did by saying New York had a similar threat and didn’t act even if it wasn’t a legitimate threat is a big gamble. We all need to work towards keeping our children and our schools safe.