The student news site of Hebrew Academy of Nassau County

HANC Herald

• October 24Want to contribute to the HANC Herald? Send and email to rcanter@hanc.org or jcorley@hanc.org!

• October 24The HANC Herald has entered the 21st century and is officially online!

The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Kids our age need about nine to nine and a half hours of sleep, and if we have to get up so early for school, then we can’t get the amount of sleep we need.

Avi Lieberman, Contributor

The Hebrew Academy of Nassau County (HANC) is a great school, but the school day should be shorter. Kids our age need about nine to nine and a half hours of sleep, and if we have to get up so early for school, then we can’t get the amount of sleep we need. This makes for sleepy kids and frustrated teachers during the school day.  HANC should make our  classes shorter so we don’t have to get up as early. This way, we can be more attentive students.

I believe we should be getting to school when first period starts; perhaps we can Daven at home so we can get to school later.  I feel that the classes should be shortened to thirty minutes maximum. We can have fewer morning classes and combine the ones we already have. For example, we can combine Mishna and Gemara in to one class. We can also combine Chumash with our elective class. Perhaps it’s not a popular idea, but I think lunch should be shorter too. Hear me out: lunch, in my opinion is too long anyway and people take only ten minutes to even eat their lunch. I know people also like lunch because of recess, but if you want school to be shorter then this is one way how to do it. We can save our “down time” for after school.

HANC ends school almost two hours later than public school. I feel that this isn’t fair; just because we have more classes because of our religion doesn’t mean we should have to go to school longer than everybody else. I think school should end at least at 4:00. Lots of kids like to play outside after school, but during the winter, when we get home from school it is too dark for kids to go out and play.

If I asked kids at school if they think school should be shorter, I think most kids will agree with me. Hopefully, in the future, we can be granted a shorter school day, but for now we can all do our best to get a good night’s sleep.

• The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Arts

6 Spectacular Purim Illustrations and Masks You Have to See to Believe!

• The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Showcase

Pigboy Comic

• The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Showcase

17 Things You Should Do Before Graduating High School

• The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Showcase

The Story Behind The Science Guy

• The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Showcase

The Styles of Being an Equestrian

• The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Showcase

The New 7 Wonders of the World

• The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Showcase

4 Ways to Show Gratitude This Thanksgiving

• The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Opinion

Are You Missing This Important Character Trait?

• The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Showcase

If Walls Could Talk

• The Plea for a Shorter School Day

Showcase

5 Ways to Increase Your Gratitude

The Plea for a Shorter School Day