The student news site of Hebrew Academy of Nassau County

HANC Herald

• October 24Want to contribute to the HANC Herald? Send and email to rcanter@hanc.org or jcorley@hanc.org!

• October 24The HANC Herald has entered the 21st century and is officially online!

The Story Behind The Science Guy

Though William Sanford Nye has become an acclaimed actor and TV personality, he still is a scientist that impacts the scientific world to this day.

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/

William Sanford Nye, better known as “The Science Guy,” is an engineer, scientist, and television personality. Bill Nye grew up in Washington, D.C. on November 27, 1955. His parents, Jacqueline and Edwin Darby Nye, both were involved in war. Jacqueline, Bill’s mother, was so brilliant in mathematics that she became a code breaker during the second World War. Bill’s father, Edwin, had been imprisoned in a Japanese war camp, where he had no electricity for four year. After being released, Edwin gained a large appreciation for sundials.

Bill Nye attended the private school Sidwell Friends School. He, being an exceptional student, enrolled at Cornell University after high school. That is where he studied mechanical engineering. After graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree, he went on to work at the Boeing Company in Seattle, Washington. During his years there, he created a hydraulic pressure resonance suppressor, which is still in use today.

Bill started to become interested in the entertainment business. He won a ‘Steve Martin look-a- like’ contest, which aided to coerce him to become a standup comedian. He began to perform stand up routines at night, while still having his engineering career during the day. He gained a job on the Almost Live show which compelled him to quit his engineering job. It was then on that show, when he received the nickname “The Science Guy”.

Soon after, Bill became known for his skills. PBS KCTS- TV, centralized in Seattle, aimed to start a new educational program starring Mr. Nye. They produced the television show Bill Nye the Science Guy. It aired from September 10, 1993 to June 20, 1998, covering one hundred episodes. This show was intended to entertain a pre-teen audience and educate them about science. The show is used, still today, for its educational value. The television show won nineteen Emmy Awards over the five years that it ran. Bill Nye, a writer, producer and performer of the show, received seven of the Emmys.

Subsequently, Bill Nye went on to other fill other gaps in the educational entertainment world. He was in other shows such as Stuff Happens, and The Eyes of Nye. He also appears in several attractions in Walt Disney World. He had been a guest stars on shows like Larry King Live, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and Dancing with the Stars. Beside from being an adroit dancer, he is also an author. He has written several scientific children’s books.

Though William Sanford Nye has become an acclaimed actor and TV personality, he still is a scientist that impacts the scientific world to this day. He has served as Frank H.T. Rhodes visiting professor at Cornell University. Bill Nye gained his interest of sundials from his father. Bill has developed sundials that were used in the Mars Exploration Rover missions. He served as president in one of the largest scientific space oriented groups in the world, The Planetary Society. There is an exhibit named after him, “Bill Nye’s Climate Lab,” in the Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland, California.

William Sanford Nye is an extraordinary person with many accomplishments. Williams’s charisma won him his place in the television industry, appearing on several shows. Besides his television involvement, he is an avid scientist. Portrayed from his large influence on the scientific community, he imprinted an impact on the scientific world with his Mars mission sundials. Bill Nye, to this day, continues to make an incredible influence on the scientific community and on many children’s lives.

• The Story Behind The Science Guy

Arts

6 Spectacular Purim Illustrations and Masks You Have to See to Believe!

• The Story Behind The Science Guy

Showcase

Pigboy Comic

• The Story Behind The Science Guy

Showcase

17 Things You Should Do Before Graduating High School

• The Story Behind The Science Guy

Showcase

The Styles of Being an Equestrian

• The Story Behind The Science Guy

Showcase

The New 7 Wonders of the World

• The Story Behind The Science Guy

Showcase

4 Ways to Show Gratitude This Thanksgiving

• The Story Behind The Science Guy

Opinion

Are You Missing This Important Character Trait?

• The Story Behind The Science Guy

Showcase

If Walls Could Talk

• The Story Behind The Science Guy

Showcase

5 Ways to Increase Your Gratitude

• The Story Behind The Science Guy

News

HANC High School’s “Attitude of Gratitude” Video Compilation

The Story Behind The Science Guy