The student news site of Hebrew Academy of Nassau County

HANC Herald

• October 24Want to contribute to the HANC Herald? Send and email to rcanter@hanc.org or jcorley@hanc.org!

• October 24The HANC Herald has entered the 21st century and is officially online!

Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Tournaments like these can create bonds with the people on your team if you haven't already, make a team play like one whole part, and help you make new friends from new backgrounds.

Gabby Schoenberg, Contributor

This year, HANC was invited to Beth Tfiloh school in Baltimore to participate in the Weiner Basketball Tournament. Both varsity boys and girls went. It was such an amazing experience.

The tournament was five days long meaning we woke up every morning to see our team at 8 in the morning. We spent all day together until 9:30pm. Whether it was a trip to target, watching other games, or just playing around, our team bonding through all of it. We also got closer to our coach, Adam. Since our team consists of girls from four different grades, some people thought we wouldn’t be close. They were wrong in the end.

In this tournament, you play at least a game a day, sometimes two games that day. At home, it’s a league, so you have practices in between in each game. When we went to Baltimore, there were no practices, so everything mattered a whole lot more. We became more dependent on each other. It wasn’t just remembering from practice the night before because there was no practice. Our team played as a whole and not an individual mission due to this, and it will help us in our home season.

During the tournament, we each stayed at someone’s house who was hosting us. We played with their kids in the mornings before we left and on shabbos. On Friday night, we ate with our host family and possibly another family that was hosting, too. Our hosts got to know us more, as well as their kids. We went to the school on Shabbos day, since it is also a shul. We then spent time with the girls and boys on all the other teams. We did activities with them, and sat with some of them at meals. No one came home saying they hadn’t made a friend.

This is why these tournaments are beneficial for everyone. They helped everyone grow, both off the court and on it. We came home with a totally different perspective on the game. We rely on each other more and aren’t as afraid to be who we are around each other. We can’t wait to go back next year!

• Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Arts

6 Spectacular Purim Illustrations and Masks You Have to See to Believe!

• Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Showcase

Pigboy Comic

• Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Showcase

17 Things You Should Do Before Graduating High School

• Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Showcase

The Story Behind The Science Guy

• Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Showcase

The Styles of Being an Equestrian

• Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Showcase

The New 7 Wonders of the World

• Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Showcase

4 Ways to Show Gratitude This Thanksgiving

• Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Opinion

Are You Missing This Important Character Trait?

• Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Showcase

If Walls Could Talk

• Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding

Showcase

5 Ways to Increase Your Gratitude

Baltimore, Basketball and Bonding